Cloud computing is providing a new horizon of opportunity for IT companies with software development, and even for Software Testing. Cloud Testing has many benefits such as: easy availability, high scalability and low costs. It allows executing functional and nonfunctional test (like security and performance test) in different environments without building your own infrastructure. Cloud Testing is a great option to improve the quality of applications without requiring a high initial investment in tools or hardware.
Cloud Testing Service Providers.
- Sauce Labs: Cloud-based platform for automated testing of web and mobile applications. Access web browsers, mobile emulators and simulators, and real mobile devices.
- Perfecto Mobile Ltd. provides device testing in several ways, including its Continuous Quality Lab. The company offers manual testing, test automation, mobile performance testing and real-device monitoring.
- BlazeMeter: Platform for load and performance testing, enables devs and QA teams to run scalable and continuous testing for website, mobile, api and software.
- SOASTA: Cloud testing and monitoring tool, performance tests, and scalability.
- Xamarin Test Cloud: is a cloud-based solution that provides tools which support automated UI Acceptance Testing of mobile applications across hundreds of different devices.
- AWS Device Farm: is an app testing service that lets you test and interact with your Android, iOS, and Web apps on many devices at once, or reproduce issues on a device in real time.
So, what are the advantages of Cloud Testing?
- Decrease initial investment in hardware purchase, management, and maintenance, as well as software licenses and support.
- 24/7 access to testing resources. Eliminates geographic barriers by allowing access from multiple locations, includes global access to QA teams in different time zones or geographic regions.
- Rapid testing processes, testing Automation tools offers advantages of high productivity and shorter test cycles with fast installations.
- Mobile device simulation/emulation.
- Complete and complex performance testing.
But … What about the confidentiality and integrity of my data? Can cloud testing service providers know how our applications’ security is implemented? Can they even know the vulnerability and risks of our applications?
The last questions are just my personal perspective. You should keep in mind what your priorities are.